I just had a confusing problem: instead of interpreting PHP-scripts in our webserver’s userdir apache serves them for download!
It’s caused by an upgrade from lenny to squeeze and I spend a lot of ours with fixing.
This is really a serious problem, these sites aren’t able to read for those people/search engines etc. that are browsing and, more fatal, if clients are able to access the PHP code of our students/staff they might explore security issues or passwords stored in these PHP files, so first of all I disabled the public access to the webserver.
So what was the problem? When I recognized that phpMyAdmin and other not userdir related stuff still works fine, I searched for issues that differ for userdirs. At long last I took a look into the
libapache2-mod-php5 config file located in
As you can see, PHP is disabled if the userdir module was enabled… Disgusting! Commenting these lines out switched PHP for users on. Very annoying!
This article is just a small THANK YOU to the whole Debian team, they are working hard to make your life much more comfortable! Great work guys!
By the way I send some greetings to all the administrators out there running Debian. Just have a look at figure 1 :-P
Today I restarted my notebook to boot into another kernel. Unfortunately I couldn’t log-in to the desktop because neither the mouse nor the keyboard was working. The Xorg.log gave me a hint what happened.
That all affected my GRML installation. Unfortunately you can’t change to a virtual terminal while there is no keyboard control, so to change anything you have to connect via SSH or boot from live CD or USB. The error reported in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log looks like:
So you see, all input device are turned off. Annoying!!
To avoid this problem you have to add the following section to your
That should solve the problem. If you don’t have a
xorg.conf yet you can create one with:
This will create
/root/xorg.conf.new , so you just have to copy it to
Since it was the first reboot for about 30 days and I updated/installed a lot of new software, so I’m not able to blame anyone generating this bug. But if you are feel free to do so ;-)
As far as I know the OpenVZ associated vzprocps-tools are just available in version 2.0.11, at least for Debian. Unfortunately they are damn buggy in this version, so unusable…
There are two smart tools included in
vzps . These programs help you a lot dealing with processes of your running containers. But in 2.0.11 they aren’t working:
It seems that there is an update, but not available as
.deb yet. Here is an example for an alternative to
vzps to find zombies:
It’s a bit complicated, but you can write a small script to grep for further things..