I just needed to record a video stream. Usually, I use mplayer for these kinds of jobs, but this time it failed. However, on the internet I found a way to do it using VLC, which apparently has quite a command line interface.
Long story short, I ended up with the following command to save the stream
For the records, here are some alternatives:
It was time to finally replace my old GPG key. I created the key in 2008 and from today’s perspective a 1024 bit DSA key is really weak. Thus, today I decided to move to a new key and created a 4096 bit RSA key.
My old key was
And the new key is:
For those of you who already trust my old key I created a transition note which is signed by both my old and my new key.
To import my new key to your key chain you can use the following command:
The new key is already signed by the old key. Those of you trusting my old key may verify the signature using:
To sign the new key execute the following command:
And it would be nice if you upload the signed to one of the key servers:
You are of course free to give me a call in order to verify the fingerprint ;-)
The following error occurs when Gajim starts to idle:
This results in a dis- and a subsequent reconnection. As the traceback already suggests the error can be found in
/usr/share/gajim/src/common/connection_handlers.py on line 2009. This is the corresponding function:
Obviously, there is no variable
obj : The passed argument is called
To fix that mistake just substitute the function definition with (replace
obj in line 2006):
This bug is already fixed in their repository (13861:239ec662de5a). Thus, this article is mainly for people not familiar with python/programming, who need a quick fix. (wasn’t able to find something on the Internet)
Btw. I’m not sure why, but this error just affected one of my four machines which are running Gajim.
About 6 or 10 moths ago we were searching for a student to work with us in the SEMS project. In order to reduce the number of applications I started a challenge. To solve this challenge you had to show some understanding for basic techniques and programming languages, so we didn’t waste our time with people not able to write a single line of source code.
And what should I say? It was successful! We’re now a great team with three students :D
However, currently this challenge seems to spread over the internet. And lot’s of people try to solve it (and many submit a wrong answer^^). But even worse, some of you guys try to exploit it by submitting something like
In general I don’t care. It was just some lines of PHP that send me an email in case of a correct answer. There is no database and the worst that can happen is a full inbox, but now I decided to close this challenge and instead forward users to this article.
Thus, if you arrive here feel free to apply for a job! I guess all of my readers, even if they didn’t solve this challenge, are perfect fellows…
If you nevertheless want to give it a try you can download the challenge.
MyTinyTodo is a self-hosted todo-list which convinces by its simplicity. It allows to maintain several different lists, you can assign tags, priorities and due dates to certain tasks. I used it myself for a long time and decided to fork the project in order to implement some stuff I missed in the original version.
I do not intend to talk about MyTinyTodo a great deal. Very tiny, does nothing that isn’t necessary. No Dropbox/Facebook/Instagram etc integration. I really like this kind of software :D
But I was missing an essential feature: Creating tasks via mail.
Lucky us, MyTinyTodo is distributed under the terms of GPLv3 license. Thus, I
hg clone d and extended the tool with desired functionality. And since the IDE was already opened I added a tiny authentication (now: username + password; previously:
.htaccess ) and secured the API by introducing a signature. Nothing special or complex, but it had to be done.
Long story short: I’m now able to submit tasks via e-mail. That means, a mail containing the following:
will result in something similar to Figure 1. All possible attributes that are recognized in the mail body are listed at the wiki on GitHub.
Find out more on GitHub.